Most people watch TV shows like I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant on The Learning Channel in disbelief. “How could you not know life was growing inside you?” or “She must have felt that something was different, right?” are some of the questions that come up. Cryptic pregnancy is more common than you think. In this blog, our gynaecologist in Pinetown explains what the condition is and what the symptoms are.
Defining a Cryptic Pregnancy
The simplest definition of cryptic pregnancy is that it is a condition where a mother is not aware that she’s pregnant. Her life continues fairly regularly and physical changes range from little to none. Awareness of the pregnancy usually comes about during labour or as the woman gives birth, which can be a startling experience. There’s little data on the ins and outs of cryptic pregnancy, but some of the causes include:
- Hormonal imbalances that can cause fertility issues
- Stress that causes the mother to be in denial or distracted
- Unsuccessful termination
- Mental health issues (it must be noted, however, that psychiatric conditions only account for a fraction of cryptic pregnancy cases)
Symptoms That You May Be Pregnant Without Realising It
The difficulty with cryptic pregnancies lies in the fact that they are characterised by a lack of pregnancy symptoms. This makes the discussion around the symptoms a little complex, but we’ve tried to explain them simply here. Women who have cryptic pregnancies typically experience a variety of the following:
- Insignificant or no weight gain
- Erratic periods due to diet, health issues, athleticism, etc.
- Light spotting, which can be mistaken for menstruation
- No nausea
- Lack of movement or communication from the baby
- Low HGC levels
While cryptic pregnancy is not the most common occurrence, it exists and can impact your life significantly. The best thing you can do for yourself is to have regular check-ups with a gynaecologist. Not only can they help detect a cryptic pregnancy earlier to help you prepare, but they also help to get your overall reproductive health in order. Dr Nitesh is a trusted gynaecologist in Pinetown. Book your appointment with us today.