As specialist gynaecologists and obstetricians, we’re passionate about caring for women during and after pregnancy and providing world-class reproductive health care to women of all ages.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Both gynaecologists and fertility specialists are involved in women’s and reproductive health, but there are some key differences in their specialities and responsibilities. Keep reading to learn about who you should visit and when.
What Is A Gynaecologist?
A gynaecologist, often referred to as an OB/GYN or Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, works to care for women’s reproductive health and care for them during their pregnancy and post-partum journeys.
Some gynaecologists are also fertility specialists, but this is not always the case. Women should see a gynaecologist annually, regardless of whether or not they are trying to conceive.
What Is A Fertility Specialist?
A fertility specialist specialises in reproductive medicine and has a qualification to treat infertility. Fertility specialists work in a more targeted way, investigating and treating the causes of infertility and helping people who are actively trying to conceive. If a couple has been trying to conceive for six months to a year without success or a woman has had multiple miscarriages, they would want to see a fertility specialist.
What Does A Gynaecologist Do?
An obstetrician and/or gynaecologist’s duties can include:
- Screening women for health issues, such as cancers of the breasts and reproductive organs
- Treating various hormonal imbalances
- Caring for women throughout pregnancy and their postpartum period
- Helping women understand reproductive health and their bodies
- Prescribing and overseeing birth control and other medications
What Does A Fertility Specialist Do?
A fertility specialist’s duties can include:
- Identifying and diagnosing the causes of infertility in a couple and helping them understand what that means for them
- Perform tests and exams to diagnose infertility problems
- Administering and prescribing medications to treat infertility
- Performing fertility procedures such as in vitro fertilisation
Dr Nitesh is a friendly, caring gynaecologist and obstetrician in Durban. With years of training and experience, Dr Nitesh can care for you at any age, from your first visit to the gynaecologist, during and after pregnancy and throughout menopause. Get in touch today to book your appointment.