when to book an obstetrician
The journey through pregnancy is precious but often bumpy. So, when should you book an obstetrician or choose a hospital? Learn more
When Should I Book An Obstetrician Or Choose A Hospital?
The Best Obstetricians Provide A Collective Approach With Other Colleagues
One of the most exciting times in many women’s lives is finding out you’re pregnant. It is an exhilarating experience and an overwhelming time all in one. And during this time, especially as a first-time mother-to-be, you may feel like there are a million things to do, but the most important is choosing whether to go to the hospital or book an obstetrician.
Without medical aid, health insurance or aren’t able to fund this journey, and you’ll most probably need to give birth at a public hospital, making the options for choosing an obstetrician less likely. However, with a medical aid that covers pregnancy, where you can give birth, and most importantly, the care you can receive during your pregnancy, you can rest assured that you can get the best possible care.
Whether to choose a hospital or book an obstetrician first can
seem like a difficult decision to make, especially with the many factors that
you need to consider.
Let’s look at some of the things you need to consider:
Taking The Maternity Hospital Route VS An Obstetrician
● With a hospital, you need to look at the birthing experience you want to have. Hospitals vary in the ‘feel and treatment’ you can expect, so it is important that you ask for a tour of the hospital and ask questions about their maternity services.
● Wherever possible, ask to meet with a midwife, tour birthing suites and the hospital’s labour wards.
● Whether private rooms are an option.
● What happens in the event of premature labour?
● Can your partner or parents be with you?
● The duration of stays and what may prolong your stay.
● Whether there are aftercare services for you and your baby.
When To Book An Obstetrician
Now we’ll look at the options for choosing an obstetrician. In many cases, obstetricians choose the hospitals they work from, and they can deliver babies at more than one premises.
How you choose to book your obstetrician varies. In a lot of cases, word-of-mouth referrals do wonders; your girlfriend, sister, aunt, or mother may have used a particular obstetrician, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to be of valuable help to your needs. It is important to consider your needs, so do your research. Look up as many obstetricians, contact their offices and find out as much information as possible.
So, when should you book an appointment with an obstetrician?
● When you have pre-existing conditions that an obstetrician specialises in and has experience dealing with
● If you’ve given birth via cesarean section and are considering vaginal birth after cesarean
● When you want to know about when an episiotomy is performed
● When you have any questions pertaining to your pregnancy or have any concerns
It is important to make the right decisions during this time as you want it to be a comfortable experience and a safe and healthy one for you and your unborn baby. At Dr Nitesh, we are obstetricians who put your needs first. We’re dedicated to providing you with all the necessary information and services that will ease your anxiety and your needs. Get in touch with us to book your appointment with an obstetrician.